Sunday, September 2, 2007

Produce parody: Not a legal issue

"I grew up loving the A and P. They gave you Plaid Stamps. They ground coffee beans right in front of you. So I just don't get why the A and P of my youth has traded in its noble Atlantic and Pacific roots for D and G, David and Goliath.The Montvale-based chain is suing two New Jersey brothers who made a gangster rap parody inside an A and P, where the two used to work. Yes, used to work. The two college students have been canned for their veggie/fruit video: "Produce Paradise."” (Doblin, Bergen Record)

The vegetables don't seem that upset, really. Why should A and P be?

I shop at ShopRite. And I have never really shopped at A and P. And, unless they get a sense of humor and perspective, I still probably will not.

Maybe, yes, they should fire these kids who made the video--maybe. Sue them for millions of dollars, no.

Maybe, their legal department needs a new WestLaw account. I don't think 'produce parody' is a major legal issue for anyone.

Now the kids will probably be hired by another grocery store chain to make funny commercials. Shop-Rite, are you listening?

You decide, then call your local A and P:




No comments: